How to make a Chi Chi cocktail - the BEST tropical frozen beach drink recipe! It's our favorite frozen tropical drink to order in Mexico and super simple to make - perfect for sipping by the pool and beach all Summer long!
This tropical cocktail is an easy blender drink recipe perfect for summer days at the pool, patio or beach. A Chi Chi is a fun mix on the traditional Pina Colada with vodka instead of rum, and it’s only 5 simple ingredients!
*This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience.
Chi Chi Cocktail Recipe (The BEST Tropical Frozen Beach Drink!)
The very first time Bryan and I had this Chi Chi drink was on our honeymoon in Mexico. When we arrived at the hotel, this was the drink they brought us as the “welcome drink” during check-in, and we’ve been ordering it in Mexico ever since!
We loved this drink so much, that when we got home from our honeymoon, we got our first puppy and decided to name her Chi Chi!
After 10 years and multiple trips to our favorite all inclusive resort in Mexico, I finally decided to make a Chi Chi cocktail at home. I knew the ingredients from watching the bartenders make it over the years, but I wasn’t exactly sure on the ratios and measurements.
I spent a Friday afternoon testing and perfecting the recipe to taste EXACTLY like the drink we love ordering in Mexico and I’m so excited to share it with you!
FYI: If you google “Chi Chi drink recipe” the search results that come up are NOT the same as what we get in Mexico. It’s similar, but there’s one important ingredient missing: the grenadine!
The grenadine is what I think sets this drink a part from other frozen drinks. The Chi Chi drink is not too sweet or tart – it’s the perfect refreshing frozen cocktail to drink on the beach or by the pool.
You can mix the grenadine in the drink and it turns more to a shade of pink (like my pictures) But the authentic Mexico way is to drizzle the grenadine on top and not mix, like in the picture above of Bryan.
I think it tastes a little better (and looks prettier for pictures) when mixed up!
Below I’ve listed out the ingredients and how to make this yummy frozen drink. Scroll to the bottom for the recipe and print-friendly recipe card.
Chi Chi Cocktail Recipe Ingredients:
5 Ingredients for Chi Chi Cocktail:
-Vodka (We love Deep Eddy’s for this recipe!)
A Chi Chi is very similar to a pina colada, but made with vodka instead of rum. When I describe it to friends who haven’t heard of it I like to call it a “pina colada swirl”!
These are easy ingredients to keep on hand, or pickup at your local grocery store, minus the vodka.
(Tip: If I’m in a rush or ordering for a party, I like to order cocktail ingredients on Target online for in-store pickup. That way I’m not searching the aisles for the drink mixers, which are sometimes in random locations of the store – all the drink ingredients are ready for me at the pickup counter up front)
How to make a Chi Chi Cocktail
- First, measure out your vodka, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and frozen pineapple. For the frozen pineapple, you can cut up a fresh pineapple and freeze the slices, or buy the frozen pineapple chunks in a bag. Using frozen pineapple helps make the drink the perfect frozen consistency without being too watered down with ice!
- Next, add all the above ingredients and ice in a blender and mix. You can add in more ice or more frozen pineapple to get to the desired frozen or slushy consistency you like.
- After blended, pour into a glass and drizzle the grenadine on top! You can leave it drizzled for more of a swirl, or mix it in for a more blended taste.
Not sure what to order when at an all inclusive resort? Next time you’re there, make sure you order a Chi Chi! Or now you can make it at home like us. It’s super simple and easy to make in big batches or a one glass at time.
Best Tropical Frozen Beach Drinks
Want a variety of tropical beach drinks? Here are some of my favorites to order by the pool and by the beach!
Print this recipe card to for easy directions or pin to Pinterest for later!
- 3 ounces of vodka
- 2 ounces cream of coconut
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2/3 cup frozen or fresh pineapple chunks
- 2 teaspoons grenadine
- 1 cup ice
- First, measure out vodka, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and frozen pineapple. For the frozen pineapple, you can cut up a fresh pineapple and freeze the slices, or buy the frozen pineapple chunks in a bag. Using frozen pineapple helps make the drink the perfect frozen consistency without being too watered down with ice!
- Next, add all the above ingredients to a blender, along with ice and mix. You can add in more ice or more frozen pineapple to get to the desired frozen or slushy consistency you like.
- After blended, pour into a glass and drizzle the grenadine on top! You can leave it drizzled for more of a swirl, or mix it in for a more blended taste. Add a straw, sip and enjoy!
Here’s a sneak peek at our DIY deck and pink stock tank pool – we’ve been working hard to get this completed and can’t WAIT to show it to y’all!!!
Cheers and Happy Summer Cocktail Making!